CNSP OPPORTUNE LIFT PROGRAM
1. The OPPORTUNE LIFT program is free to low cost, 1st come, 1st serve program that utilizes available military shipping to transport both military cargo and Privately Owned Vehicles (POV)s from San Diego, CA to Pearl Harbor, HI.
2. This program is designed as to not be a hindrance to military operations and there is NO SET SCHEDULE. Utilizing units and service members must understand that utilizing the program guarantees no set delivery date to Hawaii.
3. For units utilizing the program to ship official military cargo please email or call the CNSP OPPORTUNE LIFT Manager for instructions and coordination.
4. In some cases, a minimal fee might be charged for crane services dependent on type of ship loaded on. If charged, the fee is prorated between all users. This fee may/may not be required at both the Port of Embarkation/Port of Debarkation (San Diego/Hawaii). Any additional special equipment (tie-down straps, wheel chocks, etc.) to support the OPLIFT material is the responsibility of the owner/agent. Participants will be notified IMMEDIATELY when any crane fee or special equipment is required.
5. Authorized participants in the OPPORTUNE LIFT program to ship POVs are limited to the following:
a. Active duty service members
b. Retired service members with no less than 20 years active & honorable service
c. Surviving widows of Active Duty or retired members that posses a DOD issued ID card
d. Family members or agents acting in behalf of Active Duty service members who are deployed or otherwise unavailable due to training or other official duties and have been awarded a Power of Attorney authorizing them to ship the service member's vehicle.
e. Vehicles registered to AUTHORIZED family members listed on PCS orders can be shipped if valid DOD ID is produced.
6. The following are NOT authorized to utilize the OPPORTUNE LIFT program:
a. Friends, Girlfriends or Fiancés (imaginary or otherwise)
b. Parents, siblings or other relatives
c. Service members who received a punitive discharge or involuntary separation prior to 20 years of service.
7. The OPPORTUNE LIFT program is NOT to be utilized for the movement of household goods or personal effects.
8. Vehicles may NOT be used to transport ANY items other than those associated with the vehicle. Below are examples of items that may be shipped inside the vehicle.
a. Tool kit, jumper cables, emergency roadside kit, First aid kit, tire jack etc.
9. No items of a hazardous or illegal nature may be shipped in the vehicle (i.e., Narcotics, alcohol, gasoline, compressed air, oils, solvents, lubricants, etc.
a. Military working dogs will be exposed to the exterior of the vehicles prior to shipment.
10. “SPACE-A” is a U.S. Air Force Program that moves military personnel, family members and official military cargo via strategic aircraft ONLY. This program is NOT associated with the OPPORTUNE LIFT program in any way.
11. Once a vessel has been identified, you or your Agent will be contacted approximately 5-7 days prior to processing/loading with actual details (time, date, and place) regarding the shipment of your vehicle/boat. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will vehicles with expired registrations be shipped. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will a vehicle be accepted for shipment by anyone other than the owner(s) of the vehicle, unless it’s an Agent (appointed in writing) who has the Original Special Power of Attorney (POA) in his/her possession on the date of processing/loading the vehicle/boat for shipment.
12. It is the owner’s responsibility to provide copies of renewed registration and POA’s to this office prior to loading the vehicle/ boat on board ship, when those on file have expired. This office does not track the expiration date of vehicle registration and Special Power of Attorney while awaiting Opportune Lift. An expired registration or POA on will prevent item(s) from being shipped.
13. If contact cannot be made with you/agent by phone or if you/agent have been contacted but no delivery was made at designated time and place, your request will be removed from the OPLIFT waiting list. Should OPLIFT still be desired, resubmission is required. If you or agent is called to deliver POV/boat, but decide not to ship at that time, your name will remain on the OPLIFT list, if so desired.
14. Understand that the Department of Defense and its agencies will not assume custody of your vehicle/boat for storage prior to embarkation aboard ship. Responsibility for delivery of the vehicle/boat falls upon the owner/agent. Agent(s) who act in your behalf must know all aspects of shipping the vehicle/ boat. The below listed entities can store and deliver to the OPPORTUNE LIFT manger vehicles for shipment. They do charge a nominal fee.
a. San Diego - U.S. Navy MWR Auto Hobby/Vehicle Storage
i. Phone#: 619-566-7008/7009
15. Below is the contact information for the OPPORTUNE LIFT manager. The preferred method to receive documentation is via email. Fax and “snail mail” may be utilized as well.
a. Master Gunnery Sergeant Huichapa/USMC
b. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
c. Phone #s:
i. Commercial: 619-437-2991
ii. DSN: 577-2991
iii. FAX: XXX-5447
d. Mailing Address:
COMMANDER NAVAL SURFACE FORCES
ATTN: N415P1 / MGYSGT HUICHAPA
2841 RENDOVA ROAD
SAN DIEGO, CA 92155-5490
16. Those desiring to utilize the OPPORTUNE LIFT program from Hawaii to San Diego please contact the MIDPAC OPPORTUNE LIFT manager, website and phone number are listed below:
a. Phone#: (808) 473-0692b. Fax#: (808) 473-3046
c. Website: http://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrh/about/regional_departments/comnavsurfgru-midpac/opportune_lift_program.html
- The following is a checklist of all documents (if applicable) that need to be mailed, faxed or emailed to get placed the waiting list:
OPPORTUNE LIFT REQUEST
COPY OF VALID VEHICLE/BOAT REGISTRATION (CURRENT)
COPY OF PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION ORDERS (PCS/ETS) TO HAWAII
IF VEHICLE IS REGISTERED ONLY TO THE SPOUSE, A COPY OF THE FRONT/BACK OF SPOUSE ID CARD IS REQUIRED.
MILITARY RETIREES ONLY - PROVIDE COPY OF FRONT AND BACK OF YOUR ID CARD OR RETIREMENT ORDERS
COPY OF POWER OF ATTORNEY IF AGENT (someone else appointed in writing through a Special Power of Attorney) IS TO DELIVER/PICK-UP VEHICLE/BOAT